Over the last few years, we have heard phrases like AI is the future, AI is the new oil, or AI is the new electricity. Of late, the momentum around AI has been picking up pace as there is an ever-increasing amount of people who are interested in pursuing a career in AI. AI and machine learning are two words that we hear more often nowadays, and these are used interchangeably. It is important to understand both separately to have a clear idea about the two. This article will dive deep into what you must be aware of to pursue a career in AI and ML.
What is Artificial Intelligence?
Artificial intelligence deals with using computers to understand human intelligence, and it is the science and engineering of making intelligent machines, especially intelligent computer programs. It refers to adding human capabilities into machines. AI initiates problem-solving, common sense, and analytical reasoning power in machines. Put simply, AI involves making computer programs that imitate human behavior.
What is Machine Learning?
While some may think that both AI and ML are the same, machine learning is the subset of artificial intelligence. This refers to machines being able to learn by themselves without being explicitly programmed. It is an application of AI which enables systems to learn and improve from experience automatically. While working with machine learning, various sets of algorithms are required. These algorithms use a set of training data to enable computers to learn.
AI and ML- Background Knowledge and Skills Needed
AI and ML are based on logic. Hence, having a sound background can help develop an excellent logical model. Basic knowledge of mathematics, electrical and electronics engineering, and biology for neurosciences will provide you a basic framework to learn AI. Dive deeper into these subjects to understand AI better.
- Linear Algebra.
- Graphical Modeling.
- Analytical Geometry.
- Vectors and Matrices.
Let us now understand some of the skills you would need to excel in AI and ML.
- Programming Languages – It is important to have an intermediate level of programming skills. C++, Java, R, and Python can help if you are looking to pursue a career in AI or ML. C++ helps in speeding up the code. R can be used for statistics and plots. Python offers a concise and readable code. It is simple and allows developers to write reliable systems.
- Analytical Reasoning– It is crucial to developing AI and ML systems, and it involves being able to use deductive reasoning without specialized knowledge. This may include comprehending the structure of a set of relationships, recognizing logically equivalent statements, and inferring the truth from the given facts and rules.
- Machine Learning Algorithms– It is important to know how algorithms work and have a firm understanding of algorithm theory. It is important to understand subjects such as convex optimization, partial differential equations, gradient descent, and quadratic programming.
- Data Modeling and Evaluation– The crucial part of this process involves evaluating how good a model is. Depending on the task, one must choose an appropriate accuracy or error measure such as a log-loss for classification and sum-of-squared-errors for regression, and an evaluation strategy such as training-testing split and sequential vs. randomized cross-validation.
Getting Started with AI and ML
There are many AI and ML certifications, degrees, and online resources available to help you develop a substantial understanding of AI and ML and aid in launching your career in the same. At the bachelor level, one can find only very few specialized degrees in AI and ML. However, if you are passionate about technologies and AI and ML in particular, then you can opt for undergraduate degrees in mathematics, physics, computer science, electrical engineering, software engineering, electronics engineering, etc. At the postgraduate level, you will find specialized degrees in AI and ML that are offered under the umbrella of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering. So, if you are a student, plan your future studies in AI, ML, or any of its sub-domains to become an expert in this field. If you are a working professional, start pursuing online courses in AI and ML to gain the perfect competitive advantage among your peers.
Apart from the regular courses offered in universities, there are many online courses available today to learn AI and ML at your own pace from wherever you are across the globe. All you would need is a laptop and an internet connection. Enrolling in courses offered by renowned online learning platforms such as Blockchain Council will provide you with access to a comprehensively curated curriculum and learning modules that have been carefully designed by acknowledged industry experts and blockchain enthusiasts. Some of the popular AI and ML certifications that will make you an expert in AI and ML are Certified Artificial Intelligence Expert, Certified Artificial Intelligence Developer, and Certified Machine Learning Expert.
The Certified Artificial Intelligence Expert and Certified Artificial Intelligence Developer courses will help you learn concepts such as the history of AI, need for AI, problem-solving, knowledge representation and planning, probabilistic reasoning, reinforcement learning, machine learning, neural network, communication and perceiving computer vision, and use cases of AI. The Certified Machine Learning Expert course will cover concepts such as introduction to Python programming, Python libraries, introduction to machine learning, supervised learning, association rule, and time series analysis.
Specific AI and ML Jobs
Let us take a look at some of the popular AI and ML jobs.
- AI Engineer.
- Machine Learning Researcher.
- Data Analyst.
- Business Intelligence Analyst.
- Data Scientist.
- Robotics Engineer.
- Data Mining Specialist.
- Machine Learning Engineer.
- Image Processing and Computer Vision Engineer.
Industries Currently Using AI and ML
Some of the notable industries that have started using AI and ML for their businesses are:
- Retail and Customer Service.
- Public Relations.
Anyone who observes technology keenly will know that AI and ML are the future. Automation is gaining momentum now and will continue to do so in the future also as companies are always looking for innovative ways to cut costs. Private businesses and multi-national companies are now employing AI strategies and are spending millions, if not billions, to grow their businesses. This is where you will come into the picture. Now is indeed a golden period to start a career in AI and ML. In this race of technology, data is all set to rule the world, and hence, equipping yourself with the right skills and knowledge will aid in making a mark in the field of AI, ML, and data, in general.
To know more about AI and ML certifications, check out Global Tech Council.